Glass Half: 3D animation with OpenGL cartoon rendering
The Blender Institute produced a new 3 minute cartoon short with a simple story, snappy animation and rendered in a non photo-realistic style. The focus was on short form storytelling, good design and clear animation.
Two amateur art critics meet in a gallery and argue passionately about the pieces they see, causing chaos for everyone else, until finally they find a piece on which they can agree...
Blender Cloud subscribers will have access to assets and tutorials which focus on:
- the script writing process for shorts, from original concept through script development to the finished animatic
- production design and concept art; the process of coming up with appealing, stylised designs which support of the story
- non photo-realistic rendering; how to make appealing cartoony images in blender, favouring good design and clarity over realism
- snappy cartoon animation and pantomime acting
- simple and clear asset management for short films
Also, as part of the process we will be producing a flexible character rig that you can customise to make your own cartoon characters!
The short was in pre-production for July and August, with full production taking place in September and October.
The project was directed and written by Beorn Leonard, designed by Sarah Laufer and realized by the whole crew at the Blender Institute.
Hjalti goes over the mouth rig he made for the Glass Half open movie project.Video · 02 Nov 2016 byHjalti Hjalmarsson
freeHjalti's Animation Breakdown
Using two extreme poses, animator Hjalti Hjalmarsson shows how to animate and plan a shot - and especially how... read moreVideo · 13 Nov 2015 byTon Roosendaal
The HD version of Glass Half.Video · 27 Nov 2015 byTon Roosendaal
The full production SVN repository export for the Glass Half project.File · 04 Apr 2016 byFrancesco Siddi
Open GL wine glass rig
This week I did some tweaks to the wine glasses, including adding a highlight that works in open GL.File · 21 Oct 2015 byFrancesco Siddi
Cute little assets to populate one of Min's frames.File · 01 Jun 2017 byFrancesco Siddi